Wednesday, November 12, 1997

Buenos Aires 5

Santiago's airport was smaller than I expected, there were only 8 gates. Fortunately I spent the last pesos before passing immigration because the duty free was small. A Chilean girl of 9 and her mother had the adjacent seats. It was the first time for the girl. They were going to the Canary Islands. We experienced turbulence crossing the Andes.

It was 20C and cloudy in Buenos Aires when we landed. The passport officer thought it strange that my visa specified F for sex, then understood it was a mistake made by the consulate in Sydney. She apologised for the f**king consulate (her words). I thought it amusing that she felt the need to use that kind of language to apologise.

I took public bus 86 instead of the shuttle to save money. It stopped everywhere and took 1¼ hours to get to Congreso but I was in no hurry. I was glad that I had left my backpack in storage at the airport, less to carry. Back at the Hotel Americano I got a good room, though weird because the window was partly blocked by the closet. There was a gas range but no outlet for exhaust. I wouldn't be using it anyway.

For lunch I had some fugazza pizza at Guerin. I decided that I must try their anchoa (anchovy) the next day. At an English language bookstore I bought presents of a coffee table book on Australia for G to pick up next time she visited Baires, and a CD of the soundtrack of The Piano for L and his family. I went over to L's place in the evening. His wife was away working in La Rioja. L commented that it was odd that his youngest son, who seldom spoke with strangers, was moderately chatty with me. We shared a dinner of milanesa and conversed until close to midnight, then L took me back to my hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment